Saturday, March 16, 2019

Challenges


It's been awhile since I last posted on here because life has been crazy.  After my last post, I was preparing for a trip up to Liberty University to attend an intensive class required for my master's degree.  I haven't been on a trip by myself since I got married over 16 years ago...and haven't been on an airplane since my almost 7 year old son was a newborn!  To say there was some stress eating involved would be an understantement, I think.  But, I tried making good choices along the way.

The week before I left, I weighed in at my normal meeting and lost eight tenths of a pound.  Hey...a loss is a loss, no matter how small...right?!?  But, I had a plan for my trip and I was determined to stay as "on track" as I could given the few choices I would have available to me during the trip.

My first challenge came in the airport on Sunday (Day 1 of the trip).  I had a 3 hour layover at lunch time but had a hard time finding something "healthy" to eat.  I finally found this (which I paid WAY too much for, by the way):


I took out the peanut butter, but ate the chicken, veggies, fruit, and mozzarella balls. It wasn't too bad...but certainly not what I WANTED to eat!  ;)  When I landed in Virginia, I drove to the hotel and got myself checked in before meeting up with one of my classmates for dinner.  Part of the intensive package included a dining plan for the week that started on Monday.  We decided to go to Cracker Barrell and I got the grilled chicken, green beans...and dumplings.  Yes, I know dumplings aren't great for you, but I'd eaten pretty healthy up to that point and had the WW points to do it, so I indulged.  :)  

Class started bright and early Monday morning with many stressful challenges (mostly with the hotel, but that's another story).  Our breakfast options each morning were eggs, bacon, breakfast potatoes, oatmeal, fruit, breads, and pasteries.  I won't go into a blow-by-blow of what I ate each day...but since eggs and fruit are 0 points on the WW program, I had those each day along with a different carb option.  Lunch at the dining hall was included in our package and was like a huge food court style buffet.  Many options to choose from, not many of them all that healthy...and all you can eat.  But, I made the best choices I could without feeling totally deprived.  Dinner was provided at the hotel each night and I did the best I could there...again, not the healthiest options, but I did what I could.

The class ended at noonish on Friday and there was a WW studio in the same plaza as where our class was held, so I made my way over there for a quick weigh-in to see how I'd done.  I tried to keep in mind all the things I'd tell someone else on this journey given the same situation...that it was a different scale, different day, different time of day, I'd already eaten that day, and I was wearing heavier clothes than I'd ever wear in Florida.  With that in mind, I sucked it up and stepped on the scale.  To my horror, I had gained 2.8 pounds!  YIKES!!!!  Definitely NOT what I wanted to see on that scale!  I was meeting some fellow classmates for lunch after...and let's just say I was not in a good mindset to be good.  I wasn't horrible, but I definitely didn't make the best choices I could have.  
The flight home the following day was long.  This time I had an almost 4 hour layover in the airport around dinner time.  I did not go for the healthiest option available, but still tried to stay somewhat on track.  When I got home, I struggled a bit with WANTING to get fully back on track, but I FORCED myself to make better choices.  I tracked everything I ate (and had been mostly tracking during the trip as well...just not EVERYTHING)!  ;)  

I'm not gonna lie...I was quite nervous heading into my regular weigh-in on Tuesday.  It had only been 4 days since my weigh-in with the almost 3 pound weight gain and I had NO idea what to expect now that I was back in my regular weigh-in clothes at my regular weigh-in location.  To my GREAT surprise, I was DOWN 3.4 pounds!  I had actually lost more than I had gained on the trip!  I attribute this to some of the things I tried to remind myself of earlier (different location, different clothes, different time of day, etc.)...but also the fact that despite my food choices on the trip, I was pretty faithful to take my Plexus products.  I think they kept me from going totally overboard, and the Block kept some of my bad choices from taking up permanent residence on my body!  :)  

All this to say, I am now down a total of 55 pounds since August 27th!  That, my friends is the same as a 5,000 BTU Air conditioner (according to the weight loss comparison pictures I've found on the internet).  I have no idea what that is, exactly...but I do know it is quite an accomplishment...and one that I'm quite proud of right now.  :)  The pounds are not falling off as quickly now as they did in the beginning of this journey...but they are still coming off.  This is a long journey for me...one where some weeks will be faster than others...and I'm learning to be ok with that and refusing to quit.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment